I've currently moved over to blogging at http://mathcraft.wonderhowto.com/

Here I will be posting about 4 times per week and will have a project every week with more in depth information and a how to component and templates. There will also be a user forum for people to submit pictures and ideas.

Thanks! I hope to see you there!

Dymaxion World: Cubeoctahedron Globe

I've always been interested in maps and different projections and how they make such a difference in the way the world looks when a sphere is projected onto a flat surface.  Yesterday my wife sent me this link to an issue of Life Magazine from March 1, 1943.  On page 41 of this issue they discuss a new (at the time) projection from Buckminster Fuller, a famous inventor who is now most well-known for his geodesic spheres and houses made out of them.  This projection is called The Dymaxion World, and can be folded up to form a geometric object known as a Cubeoctahedron.  While the point of the projection is to have a flat-map with desirable properties such as low distortion and the ability to have all of the landmasses contiguous, I just think it looks cool folded up to form a bizzare globe.   Note: Fuller eventually decided on another polyhedron, the icosahedron, to use for The Dymaxion World.  It is a much "rounder" shape that actually looks like a globe. I've made those before and I don't think they look nearly as cool.

The images of the templates at the very bottom of this post, obtained from the original article, are high enough resolution to make about a 10 inch globe on standard paper if you click on the pictures and download the higher resolution version.  I used thick cardstock, and a tacky glue to construct mine.  All you have to do is glue Tab A to Tab A, Tab B to Tab B, Tab C to Tab C...

Here's a picture of the one I built:


Here's Mr. Bucky Fuller himself:



And here are some pictures that appeared in Life Magazine 3 weeks later as pictures to the editors:




Finally the templates:



   
 
 


3 comments:

Mercurious Georg said...

Nice blog - cool projects. I found this via link from Paperkraft.net to this article. Do you mind if I link you from my blog?

Cory said...

Thanks! Go right ahead.

obat denature said...

very interesting ...... nice ..........
thank you for your help me in the next work ..........
continue ....... success ........ thank you .......
visit also my website ......... ........ please .........
the following:

Cara Mengobati Ambeien
Obat Untuk Penyakit Ambeien
Obat Penyakit Wasir Ambeien
Obat Kutil Di Kelamin
Obat Kutil DiKelamin
Obat Penyakit Sipilis

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers